Saturday, July 11, 2009

La Loma

I`ve been working with this awesome group of farmers that have organized into this group. Their main activity is that they want to get a road made up to some of their farms so that they can get their produce out more quickly and efficiently. However, they are also interested in organic agriculture and some reforestation projects. A few weeks ago. Okay, almost a month ago now, we made plans to go the the loma (hill, but more like a mountain) to see some of their farms. We were going to try to leave around 6 or 7 in the morning. Someone came to pick me up on a motorcycle at six in the morning. I got to Tima and Caldito`s house on the other side of town and there were people wandering in on horses, mules, and burros. Once we had all gathered and were ready we headed out. I was on a sweet mare who took very good care of me and trust me care was needed because the ¨path¨ up into the loma was definitely treacherous. There were parts where I was sure I was going to fall off the horse because of how steep the path was. There were other parts where we were riding along te edge of a hill that if the horse and stumbled and you fell, you would be falling for a long time, or at least rolling down the hill for a long time. There were parts that were super muddy, so muddy that the horses were slipping and sliding and sticking in the mud. After 3 hours on horseback we arrived at the conucos (farms) of two of the farmers in my group. I could barely walk. The men cooked up some arrenque (some kind of fish that`s been cured and salted, not my favorite food) and yucca (which I love). After that we wandered around and Mocho showed us the year round spring that he has that he`s going to use as the source for a gravity fed watering system for his conuco. We rested and napped and hung out and chatted and took pictures for awhile then it was time to head back down the hill, which was no easier than heading up the hill. We had to hurry a little bit too because there was thunder and lightning and we didn`t want to get stuck in the rain. We got back at about 3:30 and it started pouring rain about 15 minutes later. Also, I could barely walk from the pain in my thighs. I mentioned that a beer would be great so one of my farmers bought me one. Besides not being able to walk for a couple of days it was an amazing trip. The farmers were impressed with my horseback riding skills, which I`m farely sure was more luck than anything else, but I was happy to accept the praise from these men who do this work all the time and subir (go up) to the loma quite often. I also gained a whole new appreciation for these farmers. They have to hike or ride in to these places once every week or two. They sleep in little ranchos that can`t keep out the rain and cook for themselves (which is a feat here) while they plant, or spray, or harvest. If they`re harvesting they have to come in with various horses or mules so that they can bring the harvest back down the mountain. They rely on the rain to water the matas (plants) so if there`s not much rain, like what has been happening lately, the crops dry up and they can lose everyting they were counting on for income for the year. It`s not an easy life, but it`s how the majority of the people in my community survive, selling the products they grow on their own small farms so that they can buy what they need to support their families.


My group of farmers.


This is the Mijo Valley, it`s the valley next over from where I live.


This is what the beginning of the hike looked like.


This is from Mocho`s property at the top of the mountain looking down onto his farm and the valley.


This is looking up at Mocho`s land from the rancho.


Here`s the rancho that the men stay in when they have to spend the night.


This is us on the way up the mountain going down a dip to cross a river through a field of beans.


I love this picture. It was a beautiful ride.


Don`t look down!


Santo Suero, the president of the group.


Climbing up the hill. This path zig-zagged back and forth and the rocks were quite slippery.

Here`s a video from the return trip.

1 comment:

  1. Mi querida nieta estoy seguro que te da cuenta que yo no soy tu madre que te sa;udo, pero tu querido abuelo. estoy vosotandonuestra casa al otro lado dl camino con Jean. Ambos estamos difrutando mucho de tus blogs y tus venturas alla en DR. Paresw que ademos deensenar a la gente alla eres aprediendo mucho de ellos! Hemos estado leyendo leyendo tus aventuras de casa en Birmingham anted de llegar aqui tambien. Nos gusta mucho que estas disfrutando de las experienciasalla.Algunas veces creemos que vas a escribir un libro de todo alla despues. Pero los que leyen tu libro no podran creer que es la verdad! Cuidate! queremos verte de nuevo algun dia.--------Jack & Jean

    ReplyDelete