Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Washing Day

My host mom does most of the washing thank goodness. All I'm responsible for is washing my underwear (which here in the DR are called pantis). However, as many of you know I like to procrastinate. Luckily I brought an extraordinary amount of underwear with me just for that reason and they told us that underwear take a beating around here. So what I should be doing is washing my underwear when I take my bucket bath every day because it's a heck of a lot easier. Instead of doing this I've been accumulating underwear for the last couple weeks. Today, my doña pretty much told me I better get to it and today was as good a day as any! So she set me up with a bucket full of detergent and water and I tossed in my underwear and she tossed in some soap. After letting them soak for a while I had to scrub them together, then scrub soap on them, then scrub them some more, then rinse them, then toss them on this plant to dry. My doña was nice enough to give me instructions on what I should be doing, although she was laughing at me the whole time. Here's a picture of my clean underwear drying on the bush out back. Doña Francisca was nice enough to pick a bush where they couldn't be seen from the road!! Maybe too much information for some of you but I couldn't resist sharing. I wish I had a picture of me washing to go along with it, because it had to look hysterical. Although I think the pantis make a pretty decoration on the tree! Maybe when they start to wear out I save the pretty ones and make Christmas tree decorations out of them.


No comments:

Post a Comment