Monday, May 11, 2009

La Caleta

After returning to Santo Domingo we still had a few more days of Community Based Training. We spent them with an environment volunteer named Victor in an area called Boca Chica east of Santo Domingo. The first day we spent most of the day in Parque Nacional La Caleta which is absolutely gorgeous and they’re starting to get it all set up as an area where tourists can take a quick day trip. On Thursday we went snorkeling. Did I mention I get seasick? Well, I do, so I took a dramamine hoping that would help because we were going to do a count of the aquatic life in the area because they’re trying to keep the area protected. However, the afternoon arrived with choppy waters and relatively overcast, but we loaded into the boats nonetheless. I didn’t see anything in the water unfortunately although my friends saw some stuff. It was so choppy that I wasn’t feeling super well from the beginning and then it started pouring rain so we made the decision to head for shore. Anyway, here’s some pictures from those couple days at the coast.


One of the boats coming back from snorkeling. It was dumping rain.

Claribel and Mark on the way back in from snorkeling.

Leeann, Sarah and our training director Jennifer McGowan on our snorkeling trip.

Two of my favorite boys! My Spanish professor Juan and my friend Cliff

A hermit crab I found at the beach.

My friend and professor, Claribel and I

Yes, I swear I'm in the Peace Corps!

Here's my whole group. I'd name them all but I'm running out of time and have lots of catching up to do still.

The rocks at La Caleta

The cemetery at La Caleta. Every time there's a hurricane some of them get damaged.

No comments:

Post a Comment