Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Swearing In

We finally made it. After 10 weeks of training and tests, we made it. Wednesday, May 13th we were sworn in as official Peace Corps Volunteers. That´s right we are now officially employed by the U.S. government. We sang the national anthems of the Dominican Republic and the United States. We swore oaths in English and Spanish. We listened to speeches by the Director of Entrena, the Director of Peace Corps, our bosses Alberto and Domingo, the Minister of Environment and Natural Resources (who is the grandson of one of the Mirabal sisters), someone from the Primer Dama’s (First Lady’s) office, someone from the Ministry of Education, the Doña of our friend Tamara, and our compañero Jared. We introduced ourselves and shook everyone’s hands and got a Peace Corps DR pin. And we took lots of pictures!! I wore my dress from Enchanted Alpaca and got lots of compliments! Thanks Carol and Rick!

Yeni and I

the gang of girls!

Stacie, my roomie in Miami, and I

My host mom Sol, me, and my host brother Eduard. I´m squatting down cause trust me they´re short.

Sarah, Jasmin, Kiri, and I
}
The boys!

Ruth, Malia, and Stacie. Ruth is the volunteer that lives closest to me.

Roberto with Helen in the background

Mali and I

LeeAnn and I

Jasmin and I

Jared giving his speech about how awesome Doñas are!

Cliff and I

Kevin and I

My Spanish Professor Juan and I

My good friend and another Spanish professor, Claribel

Ben and I

Arya and I

Andrea and I. She hates this picture but I love it!

Alanna and I

No comments:

Post a Comment