Monday, March 16, 2009

Las Guaguas y Los Gallos



So we’ve had a busy week this week learning to use public transportation. We’ve taken several guaguas (buses) down to the center of town and back. And by bus I don’t mean anything like a school bus. These things have about 6 rows of seats with seats that can be folded down and can hold at least two people, which means we usually have 5 or 6 people in one aisle. Which doesn’t sound too bad until you see the size of the bus and think about 6 adults sitting shoulder to shoulder. Then there are more seats up in the front right behind the driver. The scariest seat being the one behind the driver but in the middle that folds down. Then there’s two more seats in front beside the driver. And when those fill up you stand or hang out the door if necessary. The door is on the side of the bus in the middle. There’s a cobrador who collects the money for the chofer (driver). It’s really pretty entertaining all around. I definitely feel more confident now that I’ve been on the guaguas a few times.

On another note, I’ve decided I hate gallos (roosters). Now, I know hate is an awfully strong word, but really when you get woken up every morning between 3am and 5am because the roosters are crowing you might hate them too. My family has a bunch of chickens and two roosters. And several people in the neighborhood have roosters as well. I’m not sure what sets them off sometimes, but once one starts crowing they all start crowing. My roosters are in the little yard on the side of my house right next to my room and that’s exactly where the roosters stand when they crow in the morning. Here they call it singing rather than crowing, which in my opinion is not the appropriate word for the sounds produced by roosters. Needless to say my host family and my parents find it hilarious, which I suppose it will be in hindsight. Meanwhile, my friend Jean generously donated two pairs of tapones (ear plugs) to aid in my ability to sleep in until 6:45am.

But overall, things are wonderful. My group is great. We’re all starting to feel more comfortable in this beautiful country and getting tan while we’re at it. We’re taking a lot of classes in Spanish, in the culture of the DR, in our technical programs (mine being the Environment), in Peace Corps program methodology, in safety and health, and other things I can’t think of. Our training center is absolutely gorgeous. It’s this quiet garden-like setting that is much appreciated by all of us because the DR in general is not a quiet country. We walk to and from class everyday from our barrios (neighborhoods). Next weekend we go to visit current volunteers in their sites. I’m going up north to a place near Santiago. I’ll have to take my first motoconcho (motorcycle taxi) ride. We get a lesson on how to ride them next Wednesday and then Thursday we head off for our visits. I have a 30 minute motoconcho ride. Now, I’m not a huge fan of motorcycles in general and haven’t been on one in pretty much forever so needless to say I’m a little nervous, particularly because I’ll probably be bumping up a gravel road to the site of the volunteers that I’m visiting. But it’s pretty much impossible here to get around out in the campo (countryside) without using the motoconchos so I guess I’m just going to have to suck it up and learn to love it!

All right, better head to bed. Lots of love from the Caribbean!

No comments:

Post a Comment