Tuesday, March 3, 2009

I'm in Miami right now. My roommate from Nevada is fast asleep and I'm wide awake. I don't know if it's the time change or nerves or what. Probably all those! Thanks so much to all of you for the wonderful goodbyes and for the many beautiful gifts. And thanks to those of you who made it to my parties. It was a wonderful send off to have so many of the people I love surrounding me. 

I'm doing pretty good. I've met a few people from my group already. They seem nice enough in the brief amount of time I had the chance to chat with them. More than anything right now I'm homesick. I miss my bed, my house, my dog, my farm, my parents, and all of you of course. I've had to say some hard goodbyes in the last two days. It's so weird to know that you're going off for two years and leaving everything and everyone you love, and knowing you made the choice to do it willingly. 

I'm looking forward to meeting my group tomorrow. I hope that will make it all seem a little more real and a little less scary. All right, I got some phone calls to make and then I better try to get some sleep. I know I could use a good night's rest. Love you and miss you all very much.

1 comment:

  1. Well, Woodly I'm glad you're in Miami ok and on your way to that great adventure you've been looking forward to for months now. But I do understand your sentiments too. They remind me of my feelings many years ago when I was a senior at Ga. Tech in the Naval ROTC.They Needed me in the Navy and I sat thinking how far away everything was in the South Pacifi cn that destroyer. In my case I wasn't even sure I was on a round trip! But all went well & it will with you too. And you will hace all those tales to tell!! Jack

    ReplyDelete