Thursday, October 1, 2009

Birthday Celebration in El Batey


The chicken that was sacrificed to provide sustenance to my friends who came to celebrate my birthday with me.


Scalding and taking the feathers off the chicken. No easy task let me tell you, thus why I left it to professionals like Papote and Cristian.


We made our own fogon with rocks we found around the house. Here Thony and Chichito are chopping wood and getting the fire started.


Cutting the chicken turned out to be the process that involved 3 people. Andrioli, Chichito and Thony finally got through it all though.


Mmmm...look at that well-seasoned chicken cooking. Not sure if I´ve ever mentioned it before but they love these things called Sopitos, which are like buillon cubes. The first two ingredients are salt and MSG. If I don´t have high blood pressure by the time I leave here it will be a miracle.


Now all rice here must be picked through and rocks, etc. picked out before it can be washed and eventually cooked.


Papote throwing in the rice. It seems to always end up being his job, not quite sure why.


El chef, Chichito


El Chef taking a break from his cooking duties to dance a bachata with my neighbor and friend Mayra.


Hanging out and chatting and eating under the mango trees. What could be nicer than this!


I even hauled out the guitar and played a couple of songs for my friends. I translated one into Spanish and now they´re waiting for the other ones. Someday I´ll get around to it.


Here´s what the food looked like. It´s called locrio and one of my personal favorites. Especially with fresh avocados since we were and still are in the middle of avocado season.

No comments:

Post a Comment