Monday, May 31, 2010

Malia and Ruth Visit

Ruth and Malia came to visit during Semana Santa for a day. We made locrio, and headed down to the river for the afternoon. Then we went out dancing that night. It was fun and Malia had never been to our part of the country so it was a new experience for her to come to the dry southern region of the country because she lives in Constanza, which is way up in the mountains of the Cordillera Central. That's about as opposite as you can get. Up where she lives you have to put on long sleeves and long pants at night for the cold, not for the mosquitos. It evens snows up in Constanza every now and again. Where I live it's so hot and dry. We have thorn trees everywhere. We have cactuses. We have euphorbia that gets used as live fencing because it never gets cold enough for it to be in any danger of dying. It's so hot during the day that being inside the house with a zinc roof between about 10 and 4 is pretty much like sitting in a sauna. I love my community, but I still sometimes wish that I lived in the north, although when I go there and it rains super hard every day and is actually pretty cold, then I appreciate my desert more!


Thony, Goné, Malia, Ruth, and Dari hanging out at the Rio.

No comments:

Post a Comment